Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Flights of the Monarch: Landing Two

Welcome again, Blogland!

First, let me quickly explain the rating system...

For the Monarch Awards:
Pupa - Not so good
Larva - Okay, could have been better
Caterpillar - Pretty good
Monarch - Really good

For my personal choice that week:
Thumbs Down - Not so good
Flat hand - Ok, nothing special
Thumbs Up - Pretty good

So this week I read...
1. I Ain't Gonna Paint No More by Karen Beaumont
At first, I was a little skeptical about this book and I wasn't exactly sure how well it was going to read. Much to my surprise, after the first few lines I realized that this story can easily be turned into a fun little song. You can't help but feel the beat and rhythm as you read through the lines and turn each page. With it's song-like story that helps kids identify and recognize different body parts accompanied by unique and entertaining illustrations, it's clear why this book is a candidate for the Monarch Award.
RATING: Monarch
* What is your favorite thing to draw, paint, color, or make?

2. Who's afraid of the big bad book? by Lauren Child
Whereas "I ain't gonna paint no more" is a fusion of fun and education, "Who's afraid of the big bad book?" is mostly entertainment with an important lesson hidden inside.
"The story just sucked me right into its pages!" This is a common phrase used to describe an incredibly interesting book. In this case, it follows a young boy's journey through the pages of a fairy tale collection... But there's a twist! Like any normal kid, he's gone through the book drawing things here and there and altering its pages. But, these changes are still there as he ventures from page to page. In the end, he realized the significance of taking care of his books and restores the pages as best he can.
This book is definitely an adventure for both the listener and the reader, consider yourself warned!
RATING: Caterpillar
* If you could journey through a fairy tale, which one would you choose? why?

3. So B. It by Sarah Weeks (Caudill Nominee)
This book was an interesting read and let me tell you why... When I began reading, I was expecting a story simply about an alternative family, but what I got was not just a story involving alternative families, but also a story of identity, life, and truth written in an almost mystery novel type fashion. To be honest, I didn't think I was going to be affected by this work as much as I was. There were times when I really felt for the characters and almost shed some tears. Weeks writes a touching story that might get you thinking, but definitely helps you appreciate what you have in your life.
RATING: Thumbs Up
* What are some things that you appreciate in your life? Why?
* How would you feel if you were in Heidi's position? Would you have done what she did?

I'd love to hear your reactions, comments, and even your own questions!

The books I will be reading for my next review, surfacing during the week of September 3rd are:
1. Manana Iguana by Ann Whitford Paul
2. Almost Late to School and more school poems by Carol Diggory Shields
3. Bremen Town Musicians by Jacob Grimm

Happy Reading!

Melinda

No comments: